About Jewel Caraway

About Me

About Jewel Caraway

My name is Jewel, and welcome to my site! I started it to help people find out more about family law and divorce attorneys after my own experience. I have to tell you--getting a divorce is never pleasant, but sometimes it's the only option. I won't go into details, but in my old marriage I just had to get me and my kids out. But the legal stuff was a pain to deal with. Not to say it wasn't worth it, but it was definitely hard to navigate. Divorce papers, the custody battle--if you don't have a guide and a good lawyer, it is so difficult. So the purpose of this site is to help you work the system. Good luck making a better life for yourself!

Get Custody Of Your Special Needs Grandchild

If you have a grandchild with special needs and you don't feel that they are getting the proper care and attention they need at home, you should consider getting custody of the child. If they are falling behind in school and you know they are having social problems on top of their educational concerns because of their parents, getting custody would greatly benefit the child.

You should contact a lawyer to apply for custody of the child and to open a case. There is going to be a long legal process, but it may be better for your grandchild in the end. 

File a Child Services Complaint

Once a child services report is made the local authorities will send someone over to look at the property, to talk with the parent, and to meet with the child. The social worker that does the report may find that the  child lives in a dirty home, with inadequate food, childcare and more. It's best to have a report on file so it's noted that concern has been taken about the safety and care of the child, and the social worker will report everything they see.

Get Teacher and Counselor Statements

Does the child have a set list of teachers and a counselor at school?? If so, you should get written statements from them to use for the case. If these professionals state that the child's home life is affecting how well the child functions and performs at school and their development, it will be much easier for you to get custody of the child.

File for Custody

Lastly your lawyer is going to file for custody, and they are going to use evidence from the teachers, other parents, family members, and the child to show that you would be a better fit as a parent for the child. As long as your lawyer can prove that the parent puts the child in danger, doesn't care for the child properly, or is abusing the child in any way, the judge should be persuaded to keep the child with family.

Just because you get custody of the child doesn't mean that it has to be something that lasts forever, it may just be until your own child can get on their feet and care for the child on their own. If you want to go through a custody a battle because you know your special needs grandchild deserves a lot better, call a lawyer like those at the Law Office of Mark W Voigt right away.